In my recent development of eating healthy and trying to work out, I've taken the plunge with different types of ground turkey. I am not a huge fan of sausage because of the fat content so when I found Hot Italian Turkey Sausage I said, hey why not? This is a very simple and healthy meal that's filling and satisfying to the taste buds! By using a can of tomatoes with just a serving of actual marinara sauce, you're cutting the calories by almost 2/3!
Italian Sausage and Peppers
Rice flour noodles are a great g-free option for any pasta dish!
2 Italian Turkey Sausages (you can use real sausage if you'd prefer, it's just not as healthy)
1/2 Onion (sliced)
1 Bell Pepper (sliced, and go for red, orange or yellow for better nutrients)
1 15 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 C. Favorite Marinara Sauce (this makes it a bit thicker without adding all the calories!)
3-4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
3 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
1 1/2 C. Whole Wheat Pasta (I used Penne)
Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasonings
1. Boil water for the pasta. Add pasta and some salt when it's ready. Drain when it's al dente and keep covered until the topping is done.
2. Cook sausage on medium heat for about 8 mins, making sure to turn frequently. Lower to med-low and cover the sausage. Cook for about 10 more mins or til the juices run clear. (I like to poke my casing once so that the juice can run free and it's easier to watch) When they're done, take them off and cut them into slices.
3. Add a bit of oil to the pan. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Then throw in the peppers and onions. Cook for around 8 mins.
4. Add the sausage and the can of undrained tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and italian seasonings. You can also up the heat a bit with red pepper flakes.
5. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 5-8 mins.
6. Serve on top of pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.