Saturday, September 14, 2013

Philly Cheese Steak Bites

There's a quaint place that I have to visit every time I'm in LA called Phillipes that is just to die for!  I don't think I enjoy my french dip sandwiches as much anywhere else.  I don't often make my own french dips or philly cheese steaks either, but hey why not take it for a spin!

Philly Cheese Steak Bites


*makes 12-16 bites


2 tubes of Crescent rolls
1 package of roast beef (using 2 slices per roll)
6-8 slices of cheese [usually provolone but I'm not a fan] (cut in half diagonally)
1/2 Onion (sliced)
1 Green Bell Pepper (sliced)
2-3 tsp. Olive Oil
1 packet Au Jus gravy

1.  Put the oil in a skillet and add the veggies.  Let these cook on one side for 5-8 mins and then stir/flip them as best as you can to the other side.  When these are done, preheat the oven according to the rolls.
2. Open up the rolls and start separating them.  Lay the cheese down on each roll with the long edges together.
3. Then layer 2 slices of roast beef, add 2 strips of bell pepper and 2-4 pieces of onion.  Roll up and put on a cookie sheet lined with tinfoil and sprayed with non-stick spray.

4. Cook them for 10-12 mins.
5. Prepare the au jus while the rolls are cooking.
6. Serve it all up and enjoy!


(the roast beef tends to weep a little so the bottoms don't stay crisp, I recommend a fork and knife)

2 comments:

  1. Elise and I went to Phillippe's when we were in LA last January. I remembered it being amazing from way back in the day, but we were both rather disappointed. The sandwiches were actually kinda bland, and they came pre-dipped. We didn't have a bowl of au jus to dip them in, which we feel is pretty integral to a French dip sandwich. It was pretty depressing, especially since I had been hyping the place up a lot.

    These, however, look amazing and fun and, most importantly, yummy! When are you gonna make 'em for me? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer! Zach and I actually took the hour trip from our hotel to eat there about 2.5 years ago and loved it. Sure it wasn't all I remembered it to be, but I just love the way they dip the bread in the juice, that's one of the things they're known for. Dad and Uncle Dan were my best friends for a while since I brought them back their favorite spicy mustard!

    And I guess next time you come to visit?! :D

    ReplyDelete