Have you ever wanted a batch of fresh green chile but you just don't live in an area where you can get them easily? Sure, you can go to the store and buy a frozen block of Hatch's (and let's be honest, they ARE the best) but it's still just not the same. Well here's how to make your own homemade roasted green chiles that you can chop up and use immediately or you can freeze some for later. I just think it's way better than buying the little cans of green chiles. Those are just best when you're in a bind and have nothing else but really need chiles!
Roasted Green Chiles
*Makes however many chiles you roast
**This can be done with any type of pepper!!
8-10 Anaheim Chiles (this is how many will fit per cookie sheet depending on how big they are and this will make about a cup chopped)
Non stick Spray
1. Set your oven to broil and put a rack on the very top shelf.
2. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with the non stick spray.
3. Arrange the peppers on the sheet.
4. When the oven is good and ready, put the sheet in the oven. Keep a close eye on them. The first side can take from 3-6 mins. You want the skin to be mostly black and bubbly, but not completely black or else the chile itself will be burnt.
5. Turn the chiles over when the first side is ready. This side should take a little less time since the chiles are already hot.
6. Once the second side is mostly bubbly and black, take them out and put them all in a ziploc bag. Let them steam for 20 mins.
7. Carefully take them out one by one to peel the skin off and take the tops off. Prepare the chiles as you like: diced, strips, whole. Use to your hearts content!