I've had an insatiable craving for potatoes lately and with how picky I am, there aren't many choices. I ALWAYS want fries and while we do have a fryer, it's kind of a waste of time for one batch of fries honestly. Plus, everyone wants to eat more healthy right?!
**fast forward to 2015 and I've officially given my frier away! YAY!** Baked/Roasted is the way to go in my house!
Baked French Fries
*makes 2-3 servings
2-3 small (or 1-2 large) Russet Potatoes
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. (heaping) Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. (heaping) Dried Parsley
Here is where you can get very creative with taste, pick one (or more if you're crazy!):
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
Or anything that tickles your taste bud fancy.
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Put a pot of hot water on the stove with some salt and put on High to boil.
2. Cut potatoes into your shape of size, wedges, steak fries, smaller fries etc. (just keep in mind you need to watch them in the oven closely based on size)
3. Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and start a timer. 8 mins for thick cuts (wedges, steak fries), 5 mins for small fries. While this is going, get a bowl with ice water for blanching.
4. When the timer goes off, strain the potatoes and immediately put them in the ice water to stop the cooking process. After about 1 min, strain and dry with paper towels as best as you can.
5. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non stick spray (VERY important to cover it all)
6. Add olive oil and then all the seasonings to the fries. Mix well with your hand! Get down and dirty with it!
7. Spread the fries all over the sheet in one layer, if you have more, you might need to prep 2 cookie sheets at once.
7. cook between 30-35 mins depending on how crispy you would like your fries. Turning at least once to crisp different sides.
8. Serve with your dinner or eat as a snack!