Friday, October 12, 2012

Real Mashed Potatoes?!

In all honesty, how many people eat real mashed potatoes anymore.  While potatoes are literally dirt cheap, they spoil instead of sit in a pantry so people don't carry them as often.  I grew up on Potato Pearls and I swore by them as a kid.  I loved the buttery taste.  But these days I don't eat anything but real potatoes, none of that canned or boxed stuff. (no offense to the food storage, I'll still keep some there)  I think everyone should splurge for real mashed potatoes more frequently than holidays!  *Side note, we don't normally eat gravy in our house, so I season my potatoes to give them some attitude*

Scary's Mashed Potatoes
*serves 3-5

2-4 Russet Potatoes (depending on size)
1 Pot full of Water
Season Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, touch of chili powder, to taste
1/2 C. Shredded Cheese
1/4 C. Butter or Margarine
1/4ish C. Milk

1. Wash your potatoes, peel them if you don't like the skin.  I think that's the best part!
2. Dice potatoes, the smaller, the faster they'll cook.
3. Add potatoes to water, bring to boil and cook at med-hi heat until they are soft enough to squish against the side of the pot.
4. Drain and return to pot.
5.  Start mashing and add butter and milk.
6. Add seasonings to taste along with the cheese.  Mix well til the cheese is melted.  Constantly taste the potatoes to see what balance you like with the spices.
7. Serve with dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment