Monday, July 23, 2012

South of the Border without the Grease!

I must say that we eat chicken probably 5 nights a week due to being picky eaters and honestly it's my favorite in the whole world.  So I decided to get a little crazy and make baked taquitos with chicken stuffing!  They turned out way more awesome than I had imagined!!!  (And minus the tortillas, they're really healthy!)

Chicken Taquitos


*makes approx. 14 taquitos

2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/3 C. (3 oz.) Cream Cheese (I use low fat just because that's what I have on hand)
1/4 C. Salsa (a liquidy kind like Pace or something similar)
1/2 C. Black Bean Salsa (make a batch and serve on the side for dipping too!)
1/4 Lime (juiced)
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/4. tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 C. Shredded Cheese
1 package Fajita Size Tortillas (You could substitute some whole grain tortillas if you're going for healthy.)

1. Boil the chicken for about 45 mins and then shred.  Set aside.  If you are going to make the black bean salsa, now's the time to do it so it can chill in the fridge.  Set oven to 400°.
2. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.  Mix in a large bowl with the liquidy salsa, lime juice, and all the seasonings.
3. Add the chicken, cheese, and black bean salsa to the mixture and mix well.  You want to make sure the chicken gets fully covered.
4. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with a non cook spray.
5. Proceed to spoon mixture into tortillas being as generous as you'd like.  Then roll up tight and lay on the pan with the seam down.
6. Once they're all done, bake for 15-20 mins depending on the oven.  Look for the ends to turn a nice golden brown.  Pull them out and serve with the black bean salsa or your choice of dips!

 I'm working really hard to remember to take pictures at each step. As you can see, I get a little side tracked by the actual cooking part.  Oh well. I'll just keep trying!
Served them up with the black bean salsa and a red salsa recipe I got from a family member. (Haven't quite got that one down yet so I won't share until I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment